1. It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations.
2. Perhaps it is better to be irresponsible and right, than to be responsible and wrong.
3. If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favourable reference to the devil in the House Of Commons.
4. An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
5. Solitary trees, if they grow at all, grow strong.
6. I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.
7. History is written by the victors.
8. Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne; knowing him was like drinking it.
9. “No comment” is a splendid expression. I am using it again and again.
10. Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.
11. Before Alamein, we never had a victory. After Alamein, we never had a defeat.
12. We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fights in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.
13. War is mainly a catalogue of blunders.
14. We have always found the Irish a bit odd, they refuse to be English.
15. Russia is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.
16. I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
17. We are all worms. But I believe that I am a glow-worm.
18. These are not dark days: these are great days-the greatest days our country has ever lived.
19. When you are winning a war almost everything that happen can be claimed to be right and wise.
20. We shall show mercy, but we shall not ask for it.
21. To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
22. Kites rise highest against the wind-not with it.
23. Politics is almost as exciting as war, and quite as dangerous. In war, you can only be killed once, but in politics, many times.
24. The power of an air force is terrific when there is nothing to oppose it.
25. If you go on with the nuclear arms race, all you are going to do is make the rubble bounce.
26. You have enemies? Good, it means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.
27. Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak, it’s also what it takes to sit down and listen.
28. If you are going through Hell, keep going.
29. The problems of victory are more agreeable than those of defeat but they are no less difficult.
30. There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
31. Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
32. Everyone has his day, and some days last longer than others.
33. Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.
34. History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
35. If you have an important point to make, don’t try to be subtle or clever. Use a pile driver. Hit the point once. Then come back and hit it again. Then hit it a third time-a tremendous whack.